Saturday, April 07, 2007

Never making a deadline

If you know my previous incarnations well enough, you'll understand why the title is such. You'll chuckle a little at the irony that I went to journalism school. Did I ever hand in assignments on time? Many a long suffering professor could probably tell you, I am not cut out for the deadline life, the media whirl, hot news or...even the average term paper.

It's time for a change in perception, I have to stop thinking that my life is a series of uncatchable deadlines I can chase after all the time, and the constant failure and guilt that might suggest. My first paradigm shift should involve my birthday. Instead of going, this is the date I turn 40 what have I achieved? I am going to say, this is the year I turn 40 and I will spend the year giving myself permission and time to achieve some things which mean something to me. There. I've said it. I am going to sidle past the part of me that seems to be in a rictus of " no one and nothing tells me what to do and when to do it" and one day I am going to soothe that inner child rebellion within me - may need a horse whisperer. That's my promise.

3 comments:

Kenny Mah said...

"I will spend the year giving myself permission and time to achieve some things which mean something to me."

That's the most meaningful declaration I've heard this year yet. I had said to my good pal Ellyne earlier this year that this year will be my year of being happy, and she says that's a powerful declaration too.

Yay! then for us. :)

P.S. I so understand where you come from on the deadlines issue. I'm quickly developing a reputation for missing mine, hahaha!

msiagirl said...

yay for us!

thanks for the support, Kenny :)

Kenny Mah said...

Support, like love, works in a most wonderful manner: the more you give away with sincere thoughts, the more you receive in return, in most mysterious ways... :)